When I was younger, a friend and I had a discussion about what it means to be a princess, or what their essential spirit is. We were not talking about princesses of royal families in real life of course, we were talking about mythological princesses who were also often heroines in one way or another. We came up with a list that was something like the following:
1) Belief in one self's ability to make things right in the end.
2) Never giving in despite the odds being against you.
3) Being proud of your sense of style, even if others don't like it.
4) Never change who you are, even if others bully you for it.
5) Loving life, and loving the people around you.
6) Helping those less fortunate around you. Sometimes this requires courage too.
My friend and I agreed to keep ourselves up to these pillars of princessdom. As we grew up, some of these things were sorely tested along the way. Many people gave up on these ideas. But not me. The more they were tested, the tighter I held on to them. Eventually, I realised that these were great pillars of life that can apply to many situations, including all the new challenges that were ahead of me personally, and ahead of us as a society.
The princess spirit never grew old for me. It never will either.
Here's some musical inspiration - especially for point 5 above